Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Stickin Thinkin


Metaphysical writer Louise Hay reminds us, “The more you dwell on what you don’t want, the more of it you create.” Others simply pay no attention to their thoughts whatsoever, and like a garden that’s neglected; soon enough, weeds start growing. Eventually, the weeds take over your garden.

 Here are a few examples of negative statements and self-defeating questions:

I can’t lose weight no matter what I do. Why can't I lose this last ten pounds?
Why is it so hard for me to lose weight?

I have a slow metabolism.

Why can everyone else lose weight except me? It’s not fair.
It’s not my fault because I don’t have good genetics.
I don't want to be fat anymore.

I wish I could get rid of this gut.

It’ll never work because I like food too much.
I don’t have the willpower to get lean.

I would work out but I don’t have time.

I just can’t get myself up that early to work out.

I hate being fat.

I’ll never see my abs.

I hate cardio. 
I can’t.
 I’ll try.

All day long you carry on a mental conversation with yourself. Psychologists estimate that we think up to 60,000 thoughts a day and that 98% of these thoughts are the same ones we had yesterday – most of them negative. In a year, that’s almost 22 million thoughts! If Madison Avenue advertising giants can influence your subconscious mind to make a buying decision by repeating an ad a mere two dozen times (they can), then just imagine the impact that millions of your own thought commands have on influencing your subconscious mind – it’s staggering! That’s why it’s so important for you to take conscious control over your mental dialogue and program your brain with positive goals.

Fortunately, the one thing in life you always have 100% total control over is your thoughts. If you want to be successful in losing body fat or any other endeavor in life, you must master your communication with yourself. You must take charge of your self- talk, “police" your thinking, and literally re-program your brain for success. If you’ve cluttered your mind with a lifetime of “Stinkin Thinkin,” as Mr. Ziglar calls it, this may be challenging at first. It will take time to erase the old programming, but it can be done.

The first step is simply to become conscious of what you are thinking. Become aware of your thoughts. Bob Proctor, a master success coach and creator of the Goal Achiever program, suggests saying “NEXT” or “SWITCH” the instant you catch yourself in the middle of a negative thought or self-defeating question. Then, immediately replace it with a positive thought, affirmation, or an empowering question. Simply overwrite the old thought with a new one. Replace “I’ll try” with “I’ll do it.” Instead of “I should” say “I must.” Completely banish “I can’t” from your vocabulary. Soon you’ll find that your mind switches its “polarity” and the negative thoughts pop up less.

Here are some examples of how you could change the negative self-talk to positive self-talk:

How can I lose fat and enjoy the process?

What can I do today that will help me get closer to my weight loss goal?
What can I eat right now at this meal that will help me lose body fat?
How great am I going to feel after I finish my workout today?

My metabolism is getting faster every day.

I am getting leaner every day.

I like the way I look.
I am 100% responsible for my results.

Whatever it takes, I’ll do it.

I like eating healthy foods.
I love working out.

Training early in the morning is exhilarating.

I have time for anything I am committed to.

I like myself.
I can do it.
I’ll do it.

My goal:
I am developing clean eating and consistent exercise habits that are so ingrained into my lifestyle that they stay with me for the rest of my life!



No comments:

Post a Comment