Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Cardio Jam HIIT

As a wife, teacher, coach, and so many other roles I fill, I try to work out five days a week. However, there are those days when I have to go in and out of the gym in no time.   I usual superset and even triple-set my lifts which elevates my heart rate. Super-sets is when I do two exercises with no rest time in between. I can work the same body part with different lifts called isolation super setting  (pre-exhaust superset), or I can do a exercise and work the antagonistic body part.




For example

Superset- incline curls and barbels

Isolation Superset- dumbbell flyes and bench press

Antagonistic Superset- barbell curls and tricep pushdowns


High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is set of burst of massive output cardio work followed by time periods of rest.  All you old school gym rats, this is similar to the Fartlek style favored by track athletes for the past. This is the perfect solution to drop fat. Plus, it is backed up by plenty of research.

Quick Run

Warm-up by jogging 400 to 800. Make sure your muscles are warmed up completely. We will be working fast twitch muscle fibers; therefore, if you start out too fast, it could result in a severe injury. 
Now set the incline to highest level (15). Run at a speed level of 5.5 to 6 for thirty seconds to one minute. You can either walk in between (no incline) or pause the treadmill in order to drop your heart down to about 130-140. (Warning, if your heart rate stays elevated too high for too long, it can cause the "Fight or Flight Syndrome." This raises cortisol levels and increases fat around stomach.) Continue this minute run for 20 to 30 minutes. You could go longer, that is, if you can make it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment